Drew, Logan, and I were discussing the appeal between the cartoons we grew up with and the ones that are popular now. I find that the cartoons of our younger years are far better than the ones of today.
For this blog, since we are analyzing things, I want you all to choose your favorite 90's cartoon and analyze why you think it is the best and what was so appealing. If you can, try to find a deeper meaning.
My favorite cartoon was probably a tie between "courage the cowardly dog" and "samurai jack". These were my favorites, because I believe it was more than just an adventure each episode. Courage dealt with fear and did whatever it took to keep his owners safe, that could be determined as a metaphor for the dangers of life and perhaps even childhood. I also believe that limited vocabulary that courage has takes a huge role, because he can not fully explain his fear, therefore he must physically deal with the problem.
My favorite was totally "Codename" Kids Next Door". It showed how a group of friends could use intellect, creativity, imagination, and also a little courage to overcome childhood dislikes. It had a bunch of kids running around with home-made laser guns. Seriously. It was like a 2 by 4 and some ketchup duct taped together and it shot out laser beams. Along with the childlike naivete, the cartoon showed the power of imagination and true friends.
ReplyDeleteThat show was amazing all of the crazy stuff they made out of random items. I wanted to be one of those kids when i was younger.
DeleteClick This, enough said.
ReplyDeleteSpongebob Squarepants. Straight up, the best cartoon character of my youth. He is everything I aspire to be. Sure he has a low end job with low end pay, and he can't pass his driving test to save his life, but he is the happiest thing in the whole world. He has a best friend that he will have forever, and despite having a stingy boss and a neighbor that hates him, he ignores the hatred, and channels his energy on his favorite hobbies like jelly-fishing and karate. If I could live my life like Spongebob, my life would be perfect.
Spongebob Squarepants was definitley another cartoon I enjoyed as a child. In fact, I still enjoy watching Spongebob with my niece. I could truly see Jake living the life of Spongebob Squarepants. Now that would be a cartoon to watch!
DeleteOf course your one of those Spongebob fans. It all makes since now Jake. You didn't watch quality entertainment as a child and you don't enjoy it now.
DeleteI drew inspiration from an under-appreciated hero!
DeleteI thought that spongebob was one of the greatest cartoons of all time as well. Every episode was an adventure and it was always filled with all sorts of memorable characters, and it never failed to have that one fish in the background that yelled, "AH! My Leg!". Yes sir, spongebob was magnificent.
DeleteMy favorite childhood cartoon would probably have to be "Rescue Heroes". For those of you who are unfamiliar with what is potentially the greatest TV show ever created from a line of action figures, I'll give a brief introduction. "Rescue Heroes" followed a team of special force grade emergency response personnel. Each character was equipped with a gadget of some sort, ranging from shoulder mounted water cannons, to hang-gliders. Each episode found the characters saving some hapless citizen from tremendous danger, and during this rescue some moral was learned. I think what I found most appealing about the show, was how it was able to produce enough action to captivate a child, without using violence. This show, along with quite a few 90's cartoons, show just how far children's television has fallen.
ReplyDeleteI agree to the action part of it! I also think a contributing factor to why cartoons these days have gone downhill is because the producers of it try to re-create what has already been done! All the original jokes from the 90's cartoons have just been beat to death and repeated so often that they are not even funny anymore.
DeleteWell my favorite cartoon was "Tom & Jerry" although I have no idea if it was from the 90's or not. What I believed to be so appealing about this cartoon, was the fact that it was a silent cartoon. Tom or Jerry did not talk but there was background sounds to create a funny cartoon for young children. This cartoon I personally believe can be analyzed even more through the communication process. In speech class, we learned the different steps in the communication process, this cartoon could definitley be the "channel" part of it. They are not speaking to one another but with sound effects, gestures, and facial expressions, there silence becomes very loud.
ReplyDeleteThat is very interesting to know. I did not know that "Tom and Jerry" was a silent cartoon. It is cool how you could analysis it in speech class.
DeleteOkay, okay. CATDOG. This show was simply bad to the ass! Of course my imagination as a child lead me to believe that it was possible for a cat and a dog to be combined.... Anyways, the deeper meaning I found is that two different creatures (or possibly people) can get along and solve difficult problems and situations if they are forced to. And if you're lucky, you might actually be able to get along with each other and become friends. Although now that I think about it, I don't know how they went to the bathroom.. I guess I never paid attention to that.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason it doesn't surprise me that you chose this cartoon. You have always had a crazy imagination and that is wat Catdog was built on. As for the opposites can get along aspect of the show, I never thought of it that way before. It makes complete sense. Also, I always wondered about he bathroom thing; the answer could prove disturbing I would have to believe.
DeleteOh Jessie how could you make me choose my favorite 90's cartoon? "Talespin", "Batman", "X-Men","2 Stupid Dogs", "Gargoyles", "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters", "Pinky and the Brain", "Cow and Chicken", "Dexter's Laboratory", "Johnny Bravo", "King of the Hill", "South Park", "The Powerpuff Girls", "Courage the Cowardly Dog", "Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy", "Batman Beyond", "Family Guy", "Futurama", "Rugrats", "Rocko's Modern Life," "Little Bear," "Franklin", "The Simpsons", "Recess", "Blues Clues", "Dragon Ball Z", "Gundam Wing",and "Power Rangers", all made up my childhood. So since I can not decide which is my favorite I will have to go with Johnny Bravo. Johnny is the typical middle class white american who simply wants to find a partner. He works hard and just wishes to come home to a fine lady every night.
ReplyDeleteJohnny bravo was definitely one of the best! I would have to say I absolutely loved gargoyles as well.
DeleteThinking back to my childhood, one cartoon that stands out in my mind is "Roly Poly Oly." He was "small and short and round," and his daily life was always fascinating; from story time with grandpa to visiting aliens, his life was amazing! Cartoons have come a long way since our childhood, and I believe that they have become, in a word, disturbing. The weird characters and plot lines are not something that children should be watching in my opinion. It is nice to reminisce in the past and maybe we could bring back the what cartoons should really be like.
ReplyDeleteI feel unqualified to blog on this topic as I do not have satilite television and my only form of entertainment is only DVDs. My family did have "Dish Network" when I was younger but I do not remember watching many cartoons as a young lad. Also, the majority of the shows my fellow peers have mentioned I was banned from watching or they were locked so as I could not view them. And so atlas, I do not have a "cartoon" that shaped my childhood, but I will say I did watch the "Land Before Time" movies many times and enjoyed escaping into the world of prehistoric creatures who as friends solve their problems.
ReplyDeleteI feel very bad for you, but I remember going to the video store and renting "A land before time" movies. Those were just as good as most of the cartoons that I watched.
Delete"Oh, no, no, no, no."- Ducky
DeleteI am sorry to hear this Jordan, but "Land Before Time" is a great movies series. They catchy songs, and adventures were phenominal.
The cartoon that had the biggest impact on my life and totally consumed it when I was a small child was "Rugrats". I just connected in so many ways to the show. The show had a deeper meaning of how adults can underestimate the abilities of children. I loved all of the different adventures the babies would get in. The way their imaginations could take them anywhere was amazing.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite shows growing up was probably "Dexter's Laboratory" but it is like Hunter said, I watched so many different ones growing up that I cannot pick just a single one. All of them seemed to contain elements that pulled you in, that you could relate to and that is what kept you turning to that channel every time that you thougt it was on.
ReplyDelete"Road Runner". My favorite show as a boy, though almost matched by "Tom and Jerry." Both had violence, something a young boy always loves. And I would watch those shows any day now, they just aren't my favorites. "Road Runner" has Wile E. Coyote chasing the infamous road runner for a quick meal. Unfortunately, he fails. Every time. Hard to think of a deeper meaning, except when the going gets tough, try and try again.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite cartoon was probably "Pokemon." I was obsessed with the super powers of Pokemon. They had a television series, trading cards, action figures, and other such merchandise. I became obsessed with them mainly when my brother gave up on them. He gave me all of his trading cards. They were some of his most prized possessions, and he gave them to me! I had never felt so honored. Before he gave them to me we used to battle with the cards. We were both very competitive, but he was better. When he gave them to me I began to study the cards to become better, but it was a waste. I would occasionally try to get him to battle with me, but he never would. I soon became lonely and found a comrade in the television. Thus, a new obsession was born: "Pokemon" on T.V.
ReplyDelete