Monday, January 21, 2013

Vocabulary Words & Poetry Reading Assignment

Hello all.

Well, I'm not sure what happened with the blog this weekend (Patrick?), but I hope you all enjoyed your extra day off.  Here are the vocabulary words for your first poetry vocab. quiz, which will be next Tuesday (the 29th).  The definitions are all in the packet I handed out to you last week.  It will be fill in the blank, but you will have to know how to spell them.  Rather than simply matching them with the definitions, however, you will be asked to recognize several in action (ie. The phrase "jumbo shrimp" in the poem above is an example of a(n) ______________________ [oxymoron]). 


1.       Allusion
2.       Assonance
3.       Cacophony
4.       Couplet
5.       End-stopped
6.       Enjambment
7.       Euphony
8.       Heroic couplet
9.       Litotes
10.   Metaphor
11.   Meter
12.   Metonymy
13.   Onomatopoeia
14.   Oxymoron
15.   Prosody
16.   Quatrain
17.   Rhythm
18.   Simile
19.   Synecdoche
 
In addition, the time has arrived for you to do some poetry analysis on your own.  Over the next three weeks, I would like you to select three poems per week from the following website, print them out, and respond to the ten questions we have covered in class for each poem (you may do it on the same sheet on which you print the poem): http://www.poetryfoundation.org/.  The three poems from the previous week will be due each Monday.  I will grade on how insightful and detailed your responses are, with particular emphasis on how well you analyze the language/poetic devices.

On another note, we will be starting Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man about mid-February, so I would like you to purchase a copy and have it in your possession by the 11th.  It is a widely published book, and you should be able to find a used copy for fairly cheap.

See you in class.
Mr. Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment