It appears Jake is still out of commission, so I will step up and initiate a blog topic this week and let Jake focus on his convalescence (look it up). I don't know if it will quite compare with monsters, but you should be able to have some fun with it. We will focus on something you are all familiar with, whether you know it or not: the bildungsroman. Judging from the vocabulary quiz, though, some of you are still having a little difficulty with the term. So, hopefully, this will help you internalize it.
According to The Bedford Glossary of Critical
and Literary Terms (which is the go-to-book for all things literary
criticism), bildungsroman is " a novel that recounts the development
(psychological and sometimes spiritual) of an individual from childhood to
maturity, to the point at which the protagonist recognizes his or her place and
role in the world" (39). It literally means education (bildung) novel
(roman) in German. You are probably more familiar with the English
term coming-of-age, which is used more in regard to movies and has a similar
connotation.
Jane Eyre is, of course, a prime example of a bildungsroman. Some other examples I can think of that conform to the pattern are:
Books
Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
Harper Lee,
To Kill a Mockingbird
J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the
Rye
Khalad Housseini, The Kite
Runner
Movies
The Lion King
Stand by Me
Almost
Famous
Good Will Hunting
Juno
The Breakfast
Club
Songs
"Strawberry Wine" - Deana Carter
"Thunder
Road" - Bruce Springsteen
"The Swiss Army Romance" - Dashboard
Confessional
Okay, here's your task. Come up with an example of a bildungsroman of your own to which you can relate and explain (1) how it "recounts the development (psychological and sometimes spiritual) of an individual from childhood to maturity, to the point at which the protagonist recognizes his or her place and role in the world" and (2) how it reflects the bildungsroman in your own life.
One of my favorite songs is called "All I Want" by A Day to Remember. It is one of my favorites, because It talks about the hopes of building a place where everyone gets along and where everyone is accepted, but in the end all you can do is keep your hopes up high and your head down low. I believe it fits in this category, because growing up, especially in high school we all long for a place for which we can truly be accepted and fit in. Another good example is the movie "the Little Mermaid" she spends her young adolescence trying to please her father and others, when intact she has her own dreams and her own aspirations for life.
ReplyDeleteThe T.V. series of "Avatar: The Last Airbender", is a fine example of a bildungsroman. The story is about a young boy that finds out that he has to save the world by learning a bunch of kung fu magic stuff. It shows his spiritual and physical growth throughout the series and in the end emerges a full fledged adult.
ReplyDeleteDrew, your posts are so humorous.
DeleteI completely agree Drew. This story is the epic true account of a young man coming to realize his place in life.
DeleteI concur, what an excellent post!
DeleteIf I had actually done this on time and you wouldn't have taken it, then I would have used this one. And I can relate to the Kung Fu magic stuff! Good example.
DeleteI free with Drew's choice, the entire set of characters seem to have to grow quite quickly and maturely so that they may save the world. It is also an awesome tv show!
ReplyDeleteAgree*
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis movie not only goes along with this blog, but it is also my favorite movie of all time! Dirty Dancing tells the story of Baby, who is a very caring and smart girl. She quite the "Daddy's Girl", opposite from her sister. During the family's summer visit to the Catskills Resort, she breaks away from that title by first dancing with the dance teacher, and later falling in love and as Jake would say, "involving herslef in promiscuous activity". Baby grows into a better, more mature person that you can follow throughout the movie.
ReplyDeleteThis movie relates to my life because my sister tries to assume that she is more worldly experienced. Baby's sister is just like that in the movie. In the film, Baby's father is a well-known doctor. My mother is also a doctor, so I know that the sisters feel a little tied down to try to achieve high expectations.
Dirty Dancing is a classic and is most definitley bildungsroman. I agree that this movie relates to your life because of my personal knowledge of you and your siser. I also enjoy this movie and believe it is almost identical to your life.
DeleteThis is a perfect example for you Tess. I never realized all the similarities you had with Baby. I am super excited to see what you do to show rebellion though.
Delete"Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"
DeleteGrowing up, one of my favorite movies was "Nadia." This movie was about the famous gymnast Nadia Comaneci, who was the first to ever score a perfect 10 on a routine in 1976. The movie begins with Nadia as a sall child and continuesunitl she is a young adult, showing her hardships and challenges she faced to reach her goal of becoming a famous gymnast.
ReplyDeleteThis movie relates to my life because as a small child, Nadia had a dream and she succesfully acoomplished it. My dream is to graduate college and become a physical therapist. This is a goal that began my freshmanyear in high school and will continue to be "worked" at until i succesfully graduate high school and move on to fufill and live my dream, exactly as Nadia did.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteA coming of age novel for me would have been Kiss and Blog by Alison Noel. It is about a girl who goes into her sophomore year with a positive attitude to become more popular with her best friend. Her best friend is successful, but she is not and she writes a blog slandering her. She then decides the blog was a mistake, and she learns a lot about herself. In the end she does get the happy ending she wanted.
ReplyDeleteThis relates to my life because I was just a wee little freshman three years ago, and now I am a senior and I have learned so much about myself. I have lost and gained friends, but that’s a life lesson. I just hope my high school year ends in a happy ending like hers did.
The italics did not work when I formatted "Kiss and Blog."
DeleteLikely excuse...
DeleteI remember when I gave you this book. It's crazy to think that Freshman year was only 3 years ago; it feels like 6 months ago! Before you know it, we will be graduating! I definitely agree with you about how much you learn about yourself with the choices you make and what you do.
DeleteOne of my favorite songs that I consider a bildungsroman is "Bicycle" by queen. Its about the life changing moment in ones lifes when they gain the ability to ride a bike. It presents them with their first taste of freedom and this freedom continues on in the rest of their lives. I personally connect with this song based on the fact that when i learned to ride my bike I was never home. I was out on adventures emjoying.
ReplyDeleteI just listened to that song, and it makes me question the sanity of the members of Queen. It does however show their maturity as they learn to move forth in the new world of freedoms. The bicycles really symbolize the freedom they now have, and they want to use it as much as possible. Excellent example Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick Withers.
DeleteLearning to ride a bike is the first taste of freedom a child has when growing up. They're finically able to travel a little distance from the house and feel the rush of the wind in there face as they test their limits. This is a perfect example and is fitting to almost anyone's life.
DeleteThe movie that instantly came to mind when I read this prompt was a classic, and one of my personal favorites, Forest Gump. This movie tells the story of a seemingly unintelligent man and his viewpoint of the eventful world around him. The story starts when young Forest, who has "medical devices" on his legs, learns to run from bullies, and fend for himself. Eventually Forest becomes a father and sees the beauty in the unpredictability of life.
ReplyDeleteA song that came to mind was Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, because it literally starts with the words, "When I was a young boy," and I figure that is fairly fitting for the self reflection category. The song discusses one young man's lifetime struggles and how he must always fight for the good of humanity and never give up his battle with evil. Another song that I thought of was the popular "99 Problems"by Jay-Z. He talks about How he has risen from poverty to become a world renown rap artist. Despite all the obstacles and drama he has had to face in his life, he has perservered to become a legend.
All of these examples relate to myself because I not only enjoy the beauty of the world around me like Forest Gump, I also fight for the weak in need of help, and will do whatever it takes to show up the haters. It's your boy, Dr. Hansen.
Yes! I like this example! I thought of this one, but it didn't relate to my life in the least bit, so I thought I better steer away from it.
DeleteBut, uhh, 99 Problems, Jake? Really?
When reading this prompt, I instantly thought of the television series Once Upon a Time. Emma is brought onto a new world from child birth and is lost to what her purpose is, but on her 28th birthday everything changes. She was sent to this world to save the one she was from. On this birthday her destiny begins to break the curse that the evil queen casted over everyone in the land. Her beliefs are tested along with her honor as she steps into her role as a savior. This relates to my life in how I am still trying to find my purpose as Emma once was. Though my destiny will most likely not be as exciting,it is waiting for me to step upon it.
ReplyDeleteThe Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini is an excellent example of a bildungsroman. Throughout the books in the series it shows the physical and mental growth of the books main character, Eragon. He learns, though a myriad (notice the use of vocabulary) of challenges and hardships, the lessons which shape him into the character seen at the end of the series. I feel that this series reflects my life in that it shows growth through experience. After spending enough time in a certain subject or activity, I find that it is much easier to develop a skill set in whatever it is I am doing.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great example of one, Eragon goes from being a boy not even able to cast magic, to being able to whatever he pleases with someone thanks to magic.
DeleteThe song Handlebars by The Flobots is a very good example of a bildungsroman. It goes through the life of the author - from being a boy riding his bike with no handle bars to rapping in teen years, to owning a magazine etc. until he becomes a world leader. Obviously it isn't realistic, but it does show his progression. Now I don't plan on becoming a dictator when I get older, but his early progression is easy to relate to, just getting through life.
ReplyDeleteI hate that song, but it is a great example of a bildungsroman, the way he can ride his bike with no handlebars, and he has his "hands in the air" and he wants everyone to look at him. Great example Matt.
DeleteI belive the books and the movies of The Lord Of The Rings are an excellent example of a bildungsromnan. During the story, Frodo, the main character, is constantly growing as he finds himself by fighting evil and trying to destroy the source of all evil in the world. He discovers the jealous nature of humans, and the thirst for power that everyone posesses. By the end of the novel, he finds who he is on the inside, after nearly dying on the quest to destroy the ring.
ReplyDelete