Sunday, October 14, 2012

Goodbye Plain Jane!

We have obviously been discussing Jane Eyre for quite some time now, and I think we all understand the basic concepts of the story. We realize that her gender played a large role, along with the time period and strict environment she was in. The question I am going to ask is simply, what would you have done? If you are a female, put yourself in Jane's position, what sort of man would you have looked for? Would you have gone to the same men Jane did, or would you have gone to a stronger, or gentler man? As for males, Would you have gone for Jane? Did you like her submissive personality, or would you have gone for more pizzazz? If you did not like her personality, tell me how you would have changed her to make her "better." Do not be afraid to be ruthless, because she is a make believe character who cannot get her feelings hurt.

24 comments:

  1. I believe why Jane chose the men that she did was partly because of her lack of a father figure in her life. Rochester was an "old" man for that time, and I think she thrived on it. Granted, I have always had a supportive dad that has been there throughout the course of my life, so I don't know how I would look at men if I didn't have that. If it was me, I would chose a man that was younger. Also, the way the book described Rochester was not totally flattering. The picture that I imagine in my mind is not any thing I would ever consider dating, or for that matter, loving! That being said, I would go for someone better looking and less gruff than Rochester. St. John seems like a little improvement to me, but I could still see myself with someone from that era that was wealthy enough to support me, and well, attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Tess. There were obviously less people in the world at that time, but I would be just as picky as you would be.

      Delete
    2. I agree that Jane chose Rochester due to his fatherly appearance, but I do not believe that he was the fatherly type. As an older man he appealed to Janes subconscious and that is why she went back to him in the end. Being in her same position, I also agree that I would not have chosen him.

      Delete
    3. That's exactly what I have been saying/thinking. Jane's lack of a father figure led to some serious daddy issues and that is why she was attracted to Rochester.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up without a father defiantly played a major role in Janes decision to go back and to marry Rochester. Having an older appearance and a fatherly care over her, he was able to lure her into his arms, not once but twice. If I where in Janes position I would not have chosen Rochester or St John. I would have wanted the power over my own life and to find a man more my age who truly loved me. Having had my life controlled for as long as I could remember, as Jane had, I would have wanted to run away and found a new beginning that I had chosen for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Anna. I would not have choosen either of the men and would have gone out to find a better, more mature man. Running away was most definitley an emotion that Jane experienced.

      Delete
  4. Taking the devil's advocate point of view, I would be very submissive to men. I would allow them to treat me as property. If I were in Jane's shoes I would not have even dreamed of anything better than Rochester. I would not even care if he would lock me up in the attick. If I had left him though, I would find myself working the streets of Britain to find another man to support me. I would then live the rest of my life as someone's oldmaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I belive that I would not have gone for jane if I was a man who lived back in the day. It seems to me that Jane was definately a hardcore feminist, and the only reason she went back to Rochester is because she thought that she could control him. I know all of you will call me a misogynist for saying this, but that is how it was back in the day. The men were in charge and most of them wanted to keep it that way. No, I would have gone for a more submissive woman, one who bowed to the times and did not think herself better than everyone else. Once again, I am simply putting myself into the shoes of a man from that time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were talking about today's times, I would be calling you a misogynist all day tomorrow, but you are right, those were the times. I will probably still give you crap anyways, but I wholeheartedly agree with you.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with your misogynist views Erik. I feel that the story would have been much more life like had Rochester simply kept Jane as a mistress and married some far more attractive lady.

      Delete
  6. If I was to be Jane, I would definitley nnot be as courageous and dtermined as she was. Because of the the strict time peroid she was in, I would not be able to put up with the ruthless society. The type of man I would go after would be a rich, "normal" man of that time era. Jane was just so plain and I would be the opposite, beautiful, educted, rich, and wanting to marry the rich men with a mansion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't know if I would be able to live on especially when she almost starved to death leaving Rochester. I'm not so sure I would be as lucky as finding St. John and his family. I know I would definitely want to leave Rochester, but don't know if I would have the courage and integrity to actually go!

      Delete
    2. I like your perspective of your Victorian self Jennifer. It sounds like you would have started an ancient Jersey Shore, and would have been doing the mamba while everyone else waltzed.

      Delete
  7. I would not go for someone like that. Just plain and loserish. Nobody wants that in a woman, well except for "Sin Jin" and some old creep. This is talking about now, not even in Victorian era. Back then, like we talked about, there were very distinct social classes, and going for someone with such a poor background, well if I were some snobby rich guy then I wouldn't even take a second glance at her. I realize that seems extremely shallow, but the baggage is too much for someone like that. Now, I am sure exceptions could be made, but they are quite limited. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally feel that I would never had gone for Jane if I was Rochester. I feel that as a man of that stature I would want nothing to do with a girl such as Jane. I would go for the sexy young rich girl not the poor plain orphan Jane. I feel that Jane would also just be to much of a push over. I would enjoy a girl that would challenge me. I believe that if I was in Rochesters place i would have made a much better decision and married for looks not love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the rhyming. Yeah someone that is that high up on the social ladder probably wouldn't go for some lowly orphan. Your answer holds up your degrees, Doctor.

      Delete
    2. Question! Would you have gone for Blanche Ingram? By the way she was described, she seemed like a beautiful woman.

      Delete
    3. I agree that Jane is a drama filled women that lacks the beauty to justify her terrible personality. Being of such high stature why should you settle?

      Delete
  9. I myself find Jane to be a train wreck of a women. I don't want any of that. It is simply impossible for her to control her emotions leading to her outbursts of immaturity. Stability is something that everyone needs and Jane cannot deliver. Not to mention that she is simply not attractive. She is plain in the past imagine how truly disgusting she is to today's standards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have gone for maybe a less psychotic man, he locked his wife up in an attic. I think that would have been the deal breaker for me. I would have gone for someone maybe not as abrupt and as harsh in general, I found Rochester to be very cold and rather unorthodox.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have never laid eyes upon Jane. I would have been nice to her had she shown up on my doorstep near death, but I would have told her to find another man to love. I would have been a rich knight who fought off evil, so I would have expected to have a lover who was as strong and gorgeous as I was. Jane had the beauty of a rock, and the personality on an even bigger rock, therefore she would not have fit my needs. I would advise Jane to hit the market to find a new fun outfit and then go to some salsa dancing classes to pick up a nice blacksmith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr. Hansen this was a rather thought provoking topic, causing one pause as they determine not only what makes Jane appealing as a character, but also as a potential love interest. I must say that Jane would not be a choice for me. While her intellect is a force to be reckoned with, she does have her faults. She seems to suffer from a sense of insecurity and need for structure and control, something that is more or less off putting. So in short no, I do not believe that I would have gone for Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To me Jane seems to be one of those people that need constant tending to their self-esteem. She is so very insecure all of our time would be spent with me telling her she isn't fat, even though she probably is. That is the main thing I would change about her. She needs more self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete