Monday, February 18, 2013

Invisible Us

Soon we will be starting to read The Invisible Man, and even though I have very little knowledge about what the book is about, the title got me thinking. What if I was invisible? Now, not the invisible like a ghost who sneaks into girls' dressing rooms, but the invisible where nobody really noticed me. I would have no real friends who I could spark interest in and relate to, no teachers or bosses who would acknowledge my good work, nobody around me who would laugh at a joke, and not even a family who would miss me when I was gone. I would be a real nobody. What would I do with my life? Would I just shrivel up and do nothing with my life? Would I run away to the wilderness to live a simply life of survival and solitude? Would I try to do ridiculous things to rouse peoples' attention? Would I go insane? What would I do to be happy, or could I ever truly be happy? Tell me what you would do with your life if you were "invisible."

27 comments:

  1. If I were invisible, I would most likely go insane. Yes, I ma a very independent person but I would be an NOBODY if it weren't for my freinds and family that have always been there for me. I being invisible, would go to great lengths to try and get someone's attention. By this, I would probably get into trouble with the law and most likely be in jail. My emotions take over when I think long and hard about this topic. I feel sad for the kids out there whom do not have freinds or family and have no attention from anybody. This blog topic can be compared to bullying. Maybe the bully feels invisible and maybe wants more attention than usual so wants attention from one he thinks less of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to feel sorry for the invisible people, or the ones being bullied, but has anyone ever tryed to stop it from happening? If you think about it, we see people sitting alone everyday, or someone being bullied, but I've never seen someone try to stop it or sit by the person sitting alone. Feeling sorry for these people does nothing for them. If you want to help, step up and say something.

      Delete
  2. Some people can't imaginion what it would be like to go unnoticed, or unseen by the rest of the world; these are the people who have always had friends and who have never had to sit alone in a crowded place. I've been the girl who sits alone in the hall or at the lunch table. It's not something I enjoyed or would recommend to anyone. You get to watch the other people who walk down the halls or sitting at tables near you, and they don't even notice you. Being invisible, you also get to learn a lot. When people don't notice that your sitting there, they will say almost anything. It's not like I have anyone to share all of the local gossip with, so it doesn't matter what I have heard. The invisible people are the ears and the eyes of the school. I haven't done crazy things for attention or gone insane, were just normal people like the rest of the school, only were not participating in everything that is happening around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally believe, you are an active participate in school activities. I enjoy seeing you at basketball games and love how you are activly involved in Student Council. I agree that people who feel sorry for these "invisible persons" should do something about it, but not much can be done when the invisible person does not want to be visible.

      Delete
    2. But one can make the best of the situation by turning it to one's own advantage. Sit, observe, and take note of the peculiarities in people. "People watch."

      Delete
  3. This reminded me of the movie "Cast away", with Tom Hanks. Specifically the scene where Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) creates Wilson from a volleyball he found washed ashore. Faced with utter isolation, Noland creates a friend from in order to stave off the insanity which would inevitably creep into his life due to his inability to make contact with another person. With that rather gratuitous tangent out of the way, I wouldn't and don't very much enjoy being "invisible". Everyone has some desire for social interaction, and when that desire is not met, people generally do engage in bids for attention. Whether it is simply becoming a loner, or burning down a building (neither are particularly advisable).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-M4WXov2lM

      Delete
    2. Indeed, this does give the same general feeling that "Cast Away" did, with one exception I'd like to point out. In the case of Chuck Noland, there wasn't even one other person stranded there with him. Being invisible in society, I think, would perhaps be worse. Why? Because all around you, would be reminders of what you wish you could be, in all the people around you. You might have more hope, but that hope would constantly crush you when it turns to disappointment. At least Chuck Noland only had to come to terms with his predicament once. Being "Invisible" could crush you many times over.

      Delete
  4. If I was completely incognito, i would most likely go into the wilderness and live in a wall tent, hunting animals to survive. I would spend a long time out in the "civil" world first, however and would most likely end up in some sort of insanity from the long hours spent alone. I would most likely spend a very long time doing things like playing video games, being at the gym for hours on end, and doing other things that made me forget about being completely alone. To be truly and completely alone is a true form of hell on earth, as humans instinctively crave social interaction. Many people in America go through this hell being completely alone in a school with 5000 students. I believe that this sort of thing would drive a person to become somebody like the Joker, who just want to watch the world burn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But he was far from invisible. And how does it feel to be that kid now?

      Delete
    2. I agree it would be very difficult to be alone in the mountains or alone anywhere for a long time. Social interaction is huge!

      Delete
  5. "I would be a real nobody." Who do you think you are Jake Hansen? By stating that you would be a real nobody clearly you believe you are a somebody. Why don't you just mention that you're homecoming king to? What happened to the Jake I loved? This perceived popularity has poisoned you. You can even see the change from your junior year pictures to how you look now. The evil rotting away your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for slapping me with some humility.

      Delete
    2. The innocent child I knew, still lives on that fridge.

      Delete
    3. But the passive/agressive evil, soulless ginger that you see now is taking over.

      Delete
  6. I have been watching a lot of "Breaking Bad" over the past two weeks. Walt the protagonist was pushed to cook meth due to terrible circumstances. If we are to go off your made up scenario Jake, I see no reason to live life without friends and happiness. The only thing I would wish to do is fill my sad days with material possessions in an effort to plug up the hole in my leaking heart. So I assume I would join the drug trade and create my own cartel. It would be a short life, but one that would sustain me until my eventual demise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunter, I would totally buy drugs from you. You seem like a straight shooter.

      Delete
    2. material possesions would definetely fill the void of loneliness until your fast approaching end. I would rather be a loner with a lambroghini than a loner without one.

      Delete
  7. If I were completely unnoticeable I would finally be able to get my World of Warcraft character up to level 85. I would also create a social network better than facebook so then it would look like I have friends and people care, even though they don't. I would create the cure for cancer and since no one loves me, I would drink it down and then puke it up into a toilet. I also feel that I have put too much thought into what I would do if no one cared about me. On that note, I think I will adjourn from this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew, your lonely self is everything my lonely self would aspire to be. I would love to make awesome things and keep them a secret and walk around, unnoticed in crowds of people, and laugh with myself knowing that they have no clue about the awesome thing I had.

      Delete
  8. I would just go off into the woods. Living off of the land and becoming a crazy old hermit. Nothing would matter, survival would be the only thing. Eventually I would probably go crazy and kill myself or go on a rampage but that would be after I am some 80 year old man that runs around naked. I would have fun with it. Screw with people. You know, the usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I feel invisible anyway. Not completely, of course, but the times I am invisible make the times I can be seen that much more valuable. If I were completely invisible, however, I am not completely sure what I would do. That being said, I will say what I would like to do, followed by what I think I would probably do.

    Being "invisible" would not only mean that people would overlook the good things you do, but also the bad things (bad being a term relative to the person viewing a situation. What is bad for one might be good for another). I would hope I could have the determination to use my "invisibility" to help people in need. As to what sort of need, I'm not sure, but the general idea is that of redistribution; take from the rich to feed the poor. If nobody notices me, then surely I could could do such things with ease. You might say that someone would be bound to notice eventually... However, even if they did, I would still have won, because I would still have become visible.

    What would be more likely to happen, unfortunately, would be for me to sit around in my free time (which would be plentiful, since I would have no friends) playing video games, watching movies and anime, and maybe (if I was feeling particularly ambitious) work out a little bit in attempt to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your opinion Professor, I find it comforting to know have you also would use a power of invisibility to make the world a better place. You restore my hope in humanity and make me want to be a better person.

      Delete
  10. I believe I would enjoy being invisible for a little while. I would not have anyone bothering me or pestering me or telling me how to manage my time. In my time of solitude I work and create something amazing something to benefit all of mankind, such as discovering the secret to the universe, or discovering a cure for cancer. I would travel the world and try to serve others. This way of life would,however, be very lonely and boring. for what fun is life without sharing it with others. I would be very depressed and find that that life as an invisible person would be quite meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally, I think invisibility can be a good thing. I do not like everyone to know about my where a bouts and what I am doing. I think if my family ignoreme though, I would do my best to get there attention in a positive way. If that didn't work, I would start doing naughty activities and being a malovent child.

    ReplyDelete