In Death of a Salesman, Biff describes his dream of earning enough money and buying his own land to one day have his own ranch, and fulfill his life with the work that he loves to do. Biff's father, Willy, believes that Biff is confused and not trying to get his life started and needs to stop wasting his time in Texas working a little paid job.
In class we discussed what the American Dream was; to have a house with a white picket fence, a good job, lots of money, and a family. For this blog, describe your dream or your future plans and discuss how your dreams or future may differ than your parents'. Do you plan to fulfill your dreams, and how might your dream be different than the simple "American Dream?" Have fun with this topic and be specific on what your future plans and dreams with hold!
My future plans include to be a amazing film director, writer, and producer of everything. My plans are completely different than my parents on account that I have a vague list of things I want to accomplish and how I plan to. My plans are different than the simple American dream on account that I want to be filthy rich and powerful, a humble life is not for me.
ReplyDeleteFollow your dreams Hunter you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. I believe that is a great dream for you and I hope you are ultimately happy when you are rich and powerful.
DeleteContinue to work hard and you will accomplish this dream of yours hunter, you showed initiative in being the first person to post on this weeks topic, hold onto that drive and you will go places.
DeleteYou will become the greatest film director ever and I will be your pool boy in your massive Californian mansion. This is an amazing dream and you can achieve it my friend.
DeleteThe next Stephen Spielberg, huh? Good luck Hunter!
DeleteWhen you need financial advising in the future, I will be well trained in dealing with successful corporations, so I will be more than ready to help you.
DeleteMy "American Dream" is to become a radio talk show host. This dream appeals to me mainly because there is not much work involved and I would get a regular paycheck. I will realize this dream by going to college, getting a degree, then applying for a job at a radio station. This is very different from my parents' dreams because I am not in a blood soaked institution known as a hospital. This is different from the typical "American Dream" because I do not want to work hard to obtain my dream.
ReplyDeleteThis is a grrat future dream. I have heard you recently on the radio and believe that this is the future job for you. Your personality and attitude towards things gives you great chaacteristics for this job.
DeleteIt seems that my parents happen to work in the same intitution as your parents, and I can attest to the fact that is it far from blood soaked, although my mother does handle quite a bit of blood on a daily basis. This dream of yours is quite suiting to your particular talents, YEW CAN DEW ET JIMMEH!
DeleteGosh, Drew! I can relate to this so well. I don't see myself going into the medical field, but I guess anything is possible.
DeleteMy American dream is to become a successful lawyer or judge and to live in a small town on a decent sized ranch. I would only work half day in the office and then with the rest of my time I would spent it working on the ranch with my family. I would have the best of both worlds I could work as a lawyer or judge which is a fairly decent paying professional, and then I could spent the other half of my time working outdoors teaching my sons to work hard in order to be successful.To accomplish this dream of mine I need to go to college and then law school, and hopefully get lucky and find some really cheap land or marry a girl whose father has a ranch and inherit it.
ReplyDeleteThat is very interesting Jordan, I would have assumed that your ideal american dream would be to become the future president after a long line of successful political actions in the senate.
DeleteThat is beautiful, Jordan. I would not have guessed for you to have a dream such as this, but there truly is no such satisfaction as the satisfaction you get from working hard for something.
DeleteTo be sucessful, I belive that is the basic american dream. I have never heard of anybody who says "when I grow up I want to be unemployed and live on the streets." My American dream is to go to college, get into a very well paying career field, work hard for a while, and retire living on a golf course in Flordia.
ReplyDeleteSome people have the american dream of being a bum. There is a guy that lives in Bozeman, Montana and he is a bum. He is totally satisfied with his life as a bum.
DeleteDo you even play golf, Erik?!
DeleteI agree. Most people long for a family, well paying job, and a roof over there head. The American dream is simple, but not always so simple to acheave.
DeleteOnly a tool would aspire to retire on a golf course in Florida..
DeleteMy ultimate goal in life is to obtain an undergraduate degree, presumably in biology, then continue on to medical school after which perhaps specializing in the cardiothoracic region. Once I have completed time as a resident I would like to begin working in the DC area. This is ideally where I would like to settle down assuming that the myans were wrong about 2012 and that zombies have not destroyed the world.
ReplyDelete*like
DeleteWashington DC would be sweet, but did you know there are more spies there than anywhere else in the world?
I played the Walking Dead with Hunter on Saturday, and that convinced me that we would all be doomed if zombies took over the world. I died quite easily, and I was on the easy levels, so I hope that the sun just explodes instead.
DeleteThe American Dream is not what I want to achieve in my life because I do not want to live in America when I am an adult. I plan on moving to somewhere in Europe after attending college and earning a degree in either business or medicine. I will then move to Europe and start a life of luxury.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have it all figured out. It shocks me that you want to live abroad. The life abroad does not seem like an "American Dream."
DeleteI want to see your full title some day profesor! Good thing to aspire to.
DeleteAt this point in my life, I just wish to be happy and relitively successful. I want to look back fifty years from now and have absolutely no regrets as to how I have lived my life. My biggest goal right now is to get out of Idaho and go somewhere which I can begin my life an start a new.
ReplyDeleteMy dream or ultimate goal in life is to become a heart surgeon, but in the process go n lots of medical missions to countries that need help. I do not want to settle down and have kids. I want adventure and the ability to have my own career full of focus and freedom.
ReplyDelete*LIKE!
DeleteNo kids! I love your goals that you set for yourself Emily.
In my future, I plan to go to college, earn a degree in Criminal Justice, and eventually have a job as a detective looking at dead bodies and crime scenes! I see myself living in New England when I am older. I want to do all the things I want to do, and MAYBE, just maybe, find someone who would like to do them with me along the way... No kids. The end :)
ReplyDeleteI guess forensics made a large impact on you too. I approve!
DeleteFirst, you will have to excuse my typos. One hand and Oxycodone aren't a great combination for wrtiing anything.
ReplyDeleteMy dream is honestly to join the military, figure out what I really want to do, and do so with about $60K in my pocket and a free college education paid for by you generous folks. But i have some issues with that medically, very mild asthma and recovery from this surgery. If that doesn't pan out, then I would like to go into criminal justice. From there... well I don't know. I am thinking US Marshal or something.
For my future I would like to graduate college, meet the man of my dreams, travel the world before settling down to start a family, and have a paying job til retirement. This is almost perfectly matched to the "American dream"and what we believe to be happiness.
ReplyDeleteI dream that I will continue to dream in the future. I know that I will go many places in my life, and I hope that I can find something that I can devote my life to, but I am in no rush. Why would I tell myself what I am going to be in the future, when I truly have no way of knowing what will happen to me? All I hope for myself is that I can have honor and grace when dealing with new situations, and if I do that, then I will find joy in life.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I find no reason to restrict myself to a rigid plan, I also have expectations of myself, which include going to college, travelling all around the world for years, and holding a steady job for some time. In the same turn, I expect to stay true to myself and stay close to my family and close friends, because they are the ones who helped make me, however cliche that may sound.
One day, when I am old (if I make it that far) I want to go to a local coffee shop in the morning at 6am and meet with a couple of other old geezers, and just sit there shooting the breeze for a while. We will do it every other day, and then I'll drive home in my old reliable car, to the love of my life, and we will live a quaint little life, and everyone will say, "Oh you've gotta love the ole Hansen's down the road! They are just the nicest people you'll ever meet!" And then i will die completely happy.