Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving

Sorry this is a little late, but I know none of us even get on here until Sunday around 5 o' clock, so I figured it would be fine. I jumped at the chance to take a detour away from Oedipus and poems and blah blah blah! So, in honor of Thanksgiving this past Thursday, the topic is this. What is your favortie thing to do with your family on Thanksgiving? Any traditions you usually carry out? Favorite thing to eat or put on your turkey?
Let's have fun with this blog, and make it stress-free. No wrong answers--- GO!

31 comments:

  1. My family never usually does anything special, but this year we were going to try and see my grandparents to spend this holiday with them. The weather did not play in our favor, therefore it was just us at home. It is always quite simple and quiet, but there is nothing wrong with that as long as you have family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true Jessie. It sounds cliche, but families are really all that matter when it comes to the holidays.

      Delete
  2. My favorite thing is to do absolutely nothing all day, and then when all the food is ready sit down at the table for a full two to three hours stuffing my face with all sorts of food. Doesn't matter if I like the item or not, it will be in my face within a matter of seconds. However, afterwards my stomach and bowels hate me for it, forcing me to spend another two to three hours on the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What more could you ask for Drew? To indulge yourself one time a year and nothing more, we all deserve that.

      Delete
    2. Very deep Mr. Jackson. But very honest as well sir. Slightly reminds me of Tyler's journal for Sr. Project.

      Delete
  3. Every Thanksgiving my family sits around the fire place laughing and drinking eggnog as any family would. But contrary to most, we take some time to acknowledge others' lives, instead of just our own. We search the web for photos and videos of other humans around the world who are less fortunate than us. This year our searches centered around the slums of India. We found countless pictures of children drinking brown water and wearing only woven grass underpants. They did not have shoes, but I have shoes. I am thankful I have shoes. Maybe they would hate shoes though. Maybe they are thankful that they don't have to wear shoes. Maybe they have learned to love their inglorious lives because they know better than anyone else how fragile life itself can be. Maybe they look at us with pity because we have so much clutter in our lives that we are blinded by our good fortune and only focus on our small misfortunes. Maybe on that day, when we filled our bellies with turkey and gravy, and splattered our "Thanks" all across our Facebook walls, maybe on that day as they played in the nude, maybe they were just glad to be alive, and able to do what they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was deep Jake. On that day they lived a day like any other a day where they dream of having a swollen belly. They would not know what to do with themselves or all the food we eat and waste. They would carry on in the streets with nudity preying it never gets cold or they might get a filtered drink of cold water. Not us, on this day some men complained about their beer not being cold enough not they clarity of water. Only in America.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year thanksgiving was different than normal. I spent my first thanksgiving away from my mom. I spent it with my dad and stepmom. It was definitely a breath of fresh air. I really enjoyed my time because my cousins that come to visit on my mom's side of the family are very stressful. They like to invade my house. After being gone for only a day and coming back to a house that was messy was like a mother grizzly bear coming back to a den in carnage. Needless to say I was slightly agigtated to see the house like that. Overall a great Turkey Day though.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a messy house is very annoying! Mine also gets messy and looks like tornado came through because the massive amounts of children that around like wild monkeys. Family is always good to have visit...every once in awhile.

      Delete
  6. I Hunter Wilmoth abandoned, lonely, and afraid on Americas single greatest day of greed and gluttony battled the elements to test my man hood. Around 5 P.M. I received a distress signal from the area around tower creek. Interested I filled my pack with food and essential survival equipment. Myself and a bottle full of the best dornish wine available to a child of the sun ventured off into the cold woods.
    The weather was chilling at best, and deathly at worst. The great falls of the pantheon was frozen to its tip (a most interesting site to the virgin of eyes). I walked for what seemed like days on end, the stars died and were reborn in their majestic state of tranquility and an ever poised threat of destruction. Packs of wolfs encircled my path, but not as enemies but guides and guards to the ever present danger of the white walkers and the slenders.
    My signal began to grow stronger as I approached the source. A faint sound could be heard over my iphone "Hu...ter...uter...hunter!" The signal called for me. What it all ways supposed to be like this? That providence deemed it necessary for the faintest of signals to make it to my place of tranquility? But regardless of whatever omnipotent force decided that I needed to make it here, I was interested. The sound came from a shack hidden amongst the rocks. The wolves growled. I approached with caution spear chain in hand. A tremendous roar came from the shack, the front door exploded from a massive kick. A creature of odd shape and build stepped out. "I am Sil! The Cocker of these mountains! You and your staff shall perish in eternal hell fire!" Fear I did not. Staff in hand I charged at the creature, the wolves howled, the sky roared, and the mountains rumbled apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone spends their Thanksgiving differently, though I'm sorry you spent it alone and fighting Sil. At least you made it interesting and I wonder what adventures you will face next year.

      Delete
    2. This actually sounds pretty fun!

      Delete
    3. This sounds like an amazing adventure my friend. I wish that I could have been with you. We could have destroyed that monster and would be epic heroes.

      Delete
  7. For Thanksgiving, my family doesn't have any unique traditions of ways to celebrate the holiday differently than others. This year we had the generic dinner consisting of Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, etcetera. Dinner is generally followed by a relaxing evening in which we enjoy doing simply nothing. Two years ago we visited friends who own a Thai restaurant. That year left a lasting impression on my sister Regan, who now has a lasting affinity for Pad Thai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a lot like how my family usually does it. No special traditions, just a nice meal together!

      Delete
  8. For Thanksgiving our tradition is to make the tretorus journey along the river road to Challis. There we meet with family friends spending the day basting turkey, which always proves interesting, and spending time with the boys I consider my brothers. This year was no different. The feast was impeccable and the place settings were fit for royalty as always. Alex and I battles for the last pieces of my moms famous apple cream pie (I got the last piece). We spent the evening comtimplating life and watching football. Overall it was another holiday full of thanks and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This year, my birthday was on Thanksgiving. This is not the first time, and I don't particurly care for it. I don't like sharing my birthday with another holiday :P. But, nontheless, my family never fails to watch football! Can't beat that. Had a nice organic turkey (mom's choice), and sat down with my family. That is enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This year was the greatest thanksgiving ever. I was lucky enough to be able to leave the terrible town of salmon and travel to beautiful sunny California. I basked in the sun and swam in amazing blue swimming pools. I had more fun at thanksgiving than any other holiday. We all gathered at my fathers childhood home on thanksgiving day and stuffed ourselves full of food. We all had such a great time in Cali that we are planning to make this a yearly tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely jealous my friend. I left the horrid town of Salmon for Dillon, MT. Not much better.

      Delete
    2. Someday I will go to this magical place. I may even live there for a while. I will probably go nuts because there are so many people, and then I will run away to Alaska to live in the wilderness for a while. Then I will get sick of the cold, move to Panama, and actually get sick with worms or malaria. Then I will go to Minnesota where I will live out the rest of my life. I actually really like Minnesota. There are trees and lakes everywhere! There are quite a few people, but most of the towns are pretty small. It's very peaceful. I want to go there for a while now.

      Delete
  11. I never do much on Thanksgiving. Usually just sit around, watch football, and waste the day away. It is amazing. My dad had to work a 24 hour shift on Turkey Day, so we actually had ours on Friday. But just because we had a late meal doesn't mean I will miss my Patriots destroy the Jets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its pretty easy to kill a team whose quarterback runs into his own players and fumbles the ball. I personally dont understand why they don't put Tebow in, Its not like thay could get much worse.

      Delete
  12. Well, My thanksgiving started with an early morning drive on tuesday to missoula. I arrived at the airport at approximataly ten o'clock and checked my luggage for my journey to Nevada. About an hour later, I boarded the plane that was supposed to take me to Las Vegas. As the pilots did thier pre-flight checks, a terrible grinding sound came from the other side of the airplane's wall. About half an hour later, the pilot announced that the engine didnt start correctly and confirmed my sucpicions that the terrible noise I heard was indeed the engine. The pilot told us that we should get off the plane and wait in the terminal until they had the plane fixed, for it would take quite some time. We got off the plane at around 12:30. The next thing i knew, it was 5:30 and a man announced that the airline had just gotten the engineers together and put them on an airplane to Missoula, they should be there in two hours. Around 8 o clock, we finallly left Missoula, and I landed in Vegas around 9:30 pacific time.

    I flew out of Las vegas for Reno, where the rest of my family lives, at around 5 o clock that next morning. Once I got to the house in Carson City, I took a long nap. I spent the next week in carson city, mostly laying around the house and on thursday I feasted to the point that I felt I may explode. After that, I was forced to go watch an absoulutely terrible movie about vampires. On saturday, I watched a few college football games and later went with my dad to go christmas shopping for the rest of the family. On sunday, I flew back to Las Vegas, and from there to Idaho Falls, I arrived in Idaho Falls at around 6:45, and drove home, which brings us to where we are now. This is fairly close to what I do for thanksgiving every year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My thanksgiving was very interesting this year, quite different from the usual traditions that are commonplace in my home. This year my family spent the feast holiday in the terrible, liberal state of California. Besides the dreadful place where we were being occupied, the activities we participated in were enjoyable. I spent my thanksgiving day smoothly gliding over a placid lake, leaping and bounding through the air. My feet were attached to a wake board, my hands held a rope, and the immense joy in my heart is unparalleled, by any other thanksgiving activity to preoccupy my time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My family during Thanaksgiving likes to sit around the television and enjoy a full day's worth of football games. We make bets on different teams and try to make it interesting. My imidiate family generally hosts for Thanksgiving and my mother spends all day in the kitchen cooking up the meal of the year! my family that comes for Thanksgiving would not be considered small, so space is usually concerning.

    My favorite item on the Thanksgiving table is definitley the mashed potatoes and my mom's fruit salad. I always tend to load my plate with these two dishes before I even have any turkey. I love Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete