Saturday, November 3, 2012

What's Up With Poems?

Poetry in a form of literature that has existed for thousands of years, it is used to express feelings, ideas, and thoughts in a more intimate, intense setting that of normal writing. Syntax, diction, and trope, and scheme are very important and scrutinized thoroughly to develop the overall structure of a poem.  What purpose do poems serve in literature? Why would an author chose to write down his or her ideas in poem as opposed to an essay or novel? What makes poetry so meaningful and powerful in relaying a message? For this blog write down your thoughts on poems and poetry, or write your own poem about any topic of your choice. Or if your creative enough do both at the same time. 

28 comments:

  1. I think poems are used to dramatize literature and give a new depth to stories. It is far more confusing to read a complex poem as opposed to a simplistic literature book. All of the elements of a poem make the reading more interesting and more of a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how having less words can make a story more confusing. Normally having less would be simplifying the story, but it can be so short that it can be hard to decipher the true meaning of the poem. That is probably what makes the emotions more raw because the true meaning has to be extracted to be understood.

      Delete
  2. With poems there is a certain quality of artistry and vividness that can be more thoroughly explained than that of an essay or novel. Poems are more appealing to the senses, thus making them more relatable to the masses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Drew. Poems do seem to be more artistic and vivid than the rest of literature. It is a very sense oriented style of story telling. That coupled with the diction of the passage poems can be far deeper than traditional writing.

      Delete
    2. I agree completely, drew. They are more of a form of art than other forms of literature. I think that the emotional aspect of poems also hook many readers, much more so than a novel.

      Delete
  3. Poems have a flow that other forms of literature lack. They do not require the standard description of a location or scene that takes and draws away from the story. All that needs to be used is an expression of ones feelings, making the art of poetry a much more intimate act with the reader. These feelings are what the reader associates the story with, therefore in theory lending poetry to be more accepted than other literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Poetry is deeper and more intense then regular literature. I believe it is because it is more constipated and that they have to get their point across in only a few words.

      Delete
    2. Are you saying that poets suffer from chronic constipation, or were you trying to say that their poetry is more concentrated?

      Delete
    3. *like & *agree

      Can we make an agree button?!

      Delete
  4. Poetry is often used to describe the very basic emotions that the writer is feeling. Although they can be extremely deep intellectually, they do not have the extensive detail and plot set up that novels have. Poems give you an insight on what the author is experiencing and then it shows the reaction they are having to the situation. Music is basically just poetry with instruments set in the background to enhance the meaning of what is said, and that can be the purest channel of emotions that humans can make, and everyone can understand it, even across different cultural and language barriers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a little poem I wrote that kind of summarizes my thoughts and feelings lately.

    In the darkness of defeat we must see the light, for everything happens for a reason.
    We had an iron will and the heart of a champion.
    We trained, fought, bled, hoped, and prayed together for that one moment.
    We became a band of brothers, and after doing all we could we still fell short.
    Why did this happen we can ask ourselves? For we grieve not in anger at the victors,
    but of ourselves. We knew our strengths and our potential, and we failed to achieve.
    Everything happens for a reason, and it is our duty to find out why.
    Perhaps we are destined for something of greater importance.
    Maybe our lesson to learn was of humility, to learn to “Cheer as the winners go by.”
    We became men that night, in that long walk off the field.
    We learned that when you are forced to the ground and can no longer stand,
    and when the scoreboard tells you that you are losers,
    that you must find the will get up and keep going.
    That is the lesson of life. Every one of us will remember the final seconds of our last game,
    but the world will remember how we acted in the face of defeat.
    They will remember that we stood tall and continued on.
    We shook their hands and acted like men.
    Looking back after many years, we can say we played like champions and
    even when we were crushed to the ground we found the strength to stand.
    We will remember this season as the most fun we have ever had.
    DAY BY DAY we gave it our all.
    We fought to the bitter end like true SAVAGES! We were honorable in Victory and in Defeat.
    That truly is SAVAGE PRIDE
    I am proud to be a part of Salmon Savage Football

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was really good. I had so say something since we don't have a 'like' button. You had an amazing season, and as you said, there is a reason behind it all.

      Delete
    2. This is beautiful. It brought back emotions for me that I belived to be fading. It also brings back all the memories of the good times I had with my teammates during the season. It is an experience I will never forget.

      Delete
    3. This is truly what poetry is supposed to do. It evokes emotions and brings memories to the forefront of your mind. Poetry is one of the best forms of writing to convey to others ones thoughts and emotions.

      Delete
    4. Thank you Jordan. This is a blog after all. You boys have inspired me so much there is not even words to describe your work ethic. You truly have a savage mind. You are a great man Jordan. I like your poem a lot too.

      Delete
    5. Like*

      That was intense man. I am extremely impressed. And that was good poetry, not like that other stupid crap people call poetry. This was worth reading.

      Delete
  6. Poetry is a form of art
    It comes from the writers heart
    Over the years
    Different forms have arisen from tears
    And bring meaning to the lives
    Of whom survives
    Poetry is deep
    And those who sleep
    Gently through the night
    Have the writers to thank for the fright
    And or the peace that comes to their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I enjoyed how you created a poem with your opinion about poetry and poems. Every line or stanza that you have created, I am in complete agreement with. Great creativity.

      Delete
  7. I think that poetry has existed for thousands of years because people always love to sit around at social events, whatever environment they may be, and tell stories. Poems seem to tell a story in such a way that one may interpret it however they want. Also, many songs of ages gone by were simply poems set to music. I recall a poem that Gary Godfrey set to music and sang at salmon idol. I connected with this poem on many levels, and I think that the musical aspect of all poems is part of the reason that they have lived on for thousands of years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poetry is an art form that has survived for these thousands of years because if its ability to connect with the emotions and feelings of the reader. The imagery and detail put into the majority of poems evokes the feelings of past memories. I really enjoy poems that do not involve lovey dovey crap but those that depict courageous acts and heroism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poetry is a powerful way to express not only feelings and emotions, but even to tell stories. Poems or poetry are used rather than essays or novels, may be becuase of the limited wording, which creates a more distinct powerful form of writing. I personally enjoys poems andpetry more than essays or novels, for this exact eason. I like reading works that are straight forward and to the point without all of the extra detailing and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poems are a waste of time. They are not works of literature because there is no literal meaning. There is so much room for interpretational error that there is no point in reading a poem. I do not even know why I listen to music because songs are empty just like poetry.

    (This is the devil's advocate point of view.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a little extreme! I realize that you are being devil's advocate, but still!

      Delete
    2. Excellent expression of views!

      Delete
  11. Personally, I hate poetry. But that does not mean they aren't valuable in literature. For a long time, stories have been told in poetic form, just because they aren't written down doesn't mean they aren't a poem. I think that people are naturally artistic, and just saying a story in a straightforward way can get old. Some people just think in poetry. I still hate it, but it has some purpose. Unlike Wide Sargasso Sea....

    ReplyDelete
  12. An author is able to craft a much deeper meaning through the use of poems than he would with the traditional essay format. This is because in poetry works though the use of words, sounds, rhymes to bring a reader deeper into the message that the writer is trying to convey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Logan! By using rhymes, authors are able to connect feelings and plots together easily, while sounding better all in one. More information and emotions are packed into poems as opposed to a lengthy "short" story that just sounds like nothing. Poems, in my opinion, are easier to dissect.

      Delete